Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Runaway Runner

I do not consider myself a running enthusiast due to my lack of experience and persistence (case in point: this entry). The first race that I joined is the company sponsored fun run last July. My training habits further attest to my newbie status.

I was flipping through the pages of the newspaper yesterday when I saw McDonald’s fun run ad. I would normally read the race details on the ad whenever I come across one. However, my knee-jerk response that morning was to skip the ad. My decision to forego running events until the year ends compelled me to do so. The thought process involved in deciding as to whether I would pursue running this year was easy. Joining fun runs is simply out of the question.

My health condition is one of my main considerations for skipping fun runs this year. The dental treatments for the succeeding weeks would render me unfit to run. Last Saturday’s procedure was a preview of the post treatment pain and discomfort for the weeks to come. I was also advised by the dentist to refrain from strenuous activities for at least a week after each dental procedure. This rules out fun runs, since the training and actual event involve physical strain.

Budget constraint is another reason that is keeping me from joining fun runs. My financial commitments and the forthcoming Christmas expenses make running a luxury. The potential savings from skipping the registration fees and other training expenses would surely help ease my cash flow for the next six weeks or so.

Another reason why I have to give up running until the year ends is time. The things that I need to attend to during weeknights and weekends are enough to keep me occupied until the year ends. I am not busy, but I want to allot enough time for the items on my things-that-I-want-to-do-while-I-still-can list that continue to haunt me since I graduated last year. The other reasons cited in this entry make joining fun runs less appealing, which is why running is temporarily removed from the list.

I seriously consider running as a sport that I want to pursue in the future, which is why my absence in the running scene would give me something to look forward to early next year. Perhaps the delay would also motivate me to catch up on the fun runs and trainings that I missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment