Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Dreaded Visit

Tomorrow is the day. I have been preparing for this for two weeks. Actually, the apprehension about tomorrow’s visit started four months ago when I first visited Esther’s dentist. It was then when I first learned about the extent of work that is needed to correct the problem.

The first visit was not necessary had I been satisfied with the workmanship of the previous orthodontist. I already evaluated the disincentives (i.e. the x-ray and other pre-treatment expense, monthly expense, the inconvenience of commuting, the time spent per month at the clinic, and the monthly post-treatment pain) before I made the visit. I was overwhelmed at first given the opportunity cost and inconvenience involved, which is why I had to constantly remind myself of the rewards of the treatment. I also thought that the treatment period would probably not take longer than a year, since my previous orthodontist informed me that the treatment is almost finished. I was convinced that things can’t get worse. What had I possibly overlooked? I prudently evaluated the pros and cons of the decision.

The first dental appointment was depressing. My suspicion as to the workmanship of my previous orthodontist was confirmed when she explained to me my case. I learned that my previous orthodontist only corrected the crowding of my lower teeth, and not the overjet—my main objective for undergoing orthodontic treatment. The thought of time and money wasted depressed me.

As Dr. Ang proceeded to explain the specifics of what the treatment would be like, I was all the more depressed. She told me that my case is a little complicated, as it involved the bone structure. While she was explaining it to me, I could already imagine the pain that I have to endure for days after each visit. When she mentioned that four teeth have to be extracted, I felt like crying. In my mind, there has to be some other way. Perhaps she knew what I was thinking, which is why she reassured me that the pain will be bearable and the gaps will be filled after the treatment.

Another thing that I did not anticipate is the cost of the treatment. My initial estimate is far from what the actual treatment would cost, since the basis of my estimate was based on the assumption that my case only needs fine-tuning. It turns out it is a different treatment altogether and a more complicated one at that. This treatment is a serious financial commitment.

Tomorrow afternoon will be the start of the treatment. I am scheduled to have two teeth extracted. I am really terrified of the procedure, which is one of the reasons why I delayed the treatment for months. It took me months to finally muster the courage to schedule an appointment. When I talked to Dr. Ang yesterday, I realized that this is really it. I just pray that I get the results that I expect this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment