Sunday, March 14, 2010

Long Thursday

Thursdays are supposed to be just another day before Friday-- a “steady” workday and no-scheduled-plans-after-work day. March 11 was different for three reasons: (1) the big news; (2) dysmenorrhoea; (3) movie date with Ate.
The Big News

At around 9:00 AM last Thursday our VP entered the room and hinted at the big announcement. I was in the room seated at my work station when I heard our boss joke about my supervisor getting married. Then I heard her say “O, you tell them na” before leaving the room. I forgot how the conversation about the big news started; perhaps I did not hear it.

It was the official announcement that my supervisor and mentor, Ms. Jen, has received her immigrant visa and will soon leave for Canada; so soon that this week will be her last week in the office and she is scheduled to leave next month. Upon hearing the big announcement, mixed emotions filled the room.

It is always sad to part ways with someone who was there with you when you had your share highs and lows, but the thought of great opportunities and blessings in store for the person leaving helped to counter the sadness of the moment. The tension was off when our boss returned to our area and asked who cried upon hearing the news. When she scanned our faces looking for traces of tears, I had to suppress my smile.

I am excited for Ms. Jen. This is really it for her.

With Ms. Jen during her birthday last year
Dysmenorrhoea
I did not expect the pain to be as intense. It started at around 11:00 AM. At first the pain was bearable; I hardly felt any discomfort. Come noon the pain was so severe that all I wanted to do was sleep. I was feeling dizzy. I was also cold I had goose bumps all over. The pain distracted me from focusing on my work. I had a hard time typing, because a slight movement might cause another wave of pain. It was that bad.
The shawl that Ms. Jen lent me helped ease my discomfort. It took about four or five hours before the pain finally disappeared.
I somehow manage to avoid dysmenorrhea by drinking cola; it usually works like a charm. The last time I experienced dysmenorrhoea this intense was about four to five months ago. I wonder why the remedy failed to work last Thursday.

My makeshift medication
Movie Date with Ate
I was with Ate at a Chinese restaurant in Power Plant at around 7:55 PM, waiting for our food to be served. We were still right on schedule for the 9:00 PM screening of Alice in Wonderland. After 15 minutes, my food was served. I wanted to wait for my Ate’s food before starting to dig in. The serving was good for two, and so we started to eat while waiting for Ate’s food to buy ourselves time for dessert.I t was already 8:25 PM when my Ate’s food was finally served. We were running out of time and so we tried to finish the food as fast as we could. We finished around 8:35, but we had to wait another five minutes for the receipt and change.

Our next agenda was to buy dessert. Although the yogurt shop is at the other end of the mall, it only took us less than five minutes to reach the place. The mall is small, which is why Ate and I managed to walk at a leisurely pace without having to worry about the time. We made it to the movie house five minutes early.

When the movie was finished, we saw Rajo Laurel across us exciting the cinema.

Thanks, Ate for the treat!
All in all I enjoyed the movie date. I enjoyed Ate’s company. We are planning to do this on a regular basis. She already mentioned to me the upcoming 2010 movies that she is looking forward to see. Maybe next time I will buy her dessert.

Obligatory pic by the much-awaited-movie streamer

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Same thoughts on last Friday's announcement. ;)

    The yogurt looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parang yung sa latest post mo--happy and sad.

    Yep, the yogurt's yummy! =D

    ReplyDelete