Thursday, May 20, 2010

Election 2010

As a first time voter, I was excited to vote. The voting hype started in October after I registered. My experience during the last day of registration made me eager to vote. The four-hour ordeal simply increased the value of voting.

Months before the election, I was quite assured that my voting experience would not be long and tiring. Whenever my parents leave the house to vote, they would be back after an hour, tops. I remember this very clearly, because I always asked why they are back so soon. And so until May 10 I had the impression that my first voting would be just like the CoverGirl tagline--easy, breezy, and beautiful.

I underestimated the effect on the queuing brought about by the election automation. The three-hour waiting period in a crowded and secluded area at noon at this time of the year made my first voting experience a nightmare. Thanks to my habit of taking into consideration Murphy’s Law, I was equipped with tools and tricks that helped me through. Looking back, I realize that my voting experience taught some tips that will be handy next time:


Ate almost missed her turn by just a few minutes, because she had to go home just to use the restroom (the restrooms in that school was that bad).
You want to avoid: Leaving the waiting room to buy food or use the public restroom.
Do: (1) Have a hearty meal before heading to the school/precinct; (2) bring food and water; (3) regulate water intake two hours before leaving the house.


It is a miracle how I (and the rest of my family) survived the heat of that day. The air was warm and the place was full to the brim.
You want to avoid: Bathing in sweat, fainting, and heatstroke
Do: (1) Take a shower before leaving the house; (2) bring a fan; and (3) wear comfortable clothing.


My friend and I scheduled a lunch date that day, since it was our only common free time that week. After an hour of waiting, I had to reschedule our meeting.
You want to avoid: Missing/rescheduling an appointment or being late for an appointment
Do: Set a meeting at least five hours after your estimated time of arrival at the school/precinct.


Waiting under harsh conditions could seem forever.
You want to avoid: Boredom
Do: (1) Bring a book (or a gaming device) and MP3 player; (2) talk to a friend.






The scene in front of the school




On our way to the waiting room




People outside waiting for their priority number



This baby entertained us.



Ate and her ballot


Cheers to those who voted this year despite all the inconveniences. (Quoting Elaine) Mabuhay ka!



No comments:

Post a Comment